Experiencing pregnancy symptoms. Having on and off spotting. Urine and blood test showed negative. Any ideas?

Have been experiencing pregnancy symptoms and I was supposed to start my period on Tuesday but have had on and off spotting since Saturday night. Urine and blood tests say negative. Is it too soon still?
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Most home pregnancy tests that check urine beta-HCG are sensitive to 20-25 mIU/ml of HCG. The test can be positive anywhere from about 2-3 days prior to a missed menses to 4-5 days after, but usually it should be done 7-10 days past your missed period. Use a morning sample of urine and two lines means a positive test. To confirm the status of your pregnancy, you can repeat the test after 5 days or get a serum HCG test done which is more specific than a urine test.
Sometimes a delayed conception causes a late positive pregnancy test.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.