Experiencing palpitations and feeling uncomfortable and light headed. Why is this occurring?

Jan 2013

I have been experiencing palpitations quite often of late and makes me feel very uncomfortable and light headed.
I have been on Calaptin40 but I have been not taking it regularly.
Of late the palpitation occurs even when asleep. Why is this occurring?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 20 minutes later
You should consult with Physician/ cardiologist and get your ECG and 2 D echo.
Heart palpitations may be due to cardiac problem or due to systemic illness.
Cardiac problem may be arrhythmias or structural problem. Palpitations may be due to AV block/ atrial fibrillation/ VPC's/ APC's/ Atrial Flutter. Very effective treatment is available and you may remain asymptomatic after taking these medicines.
If these cardiac investigation has some doubt then you can go for electro-physiological studies of heart.
If your ECG is normal then systemic cause should be searched out.
Blood investigations are thyroid profile, serum electrolytes, complete blood count, renal function test.
You should take Calaptin 40 as prescribed by physician, only then the effect of prescribed medicine can be judged.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava