Ask a Urologist   »  

Experiencing pain while urinating and noticed blood in it. Medical test showed clear. What could be the problem?

Hi! i am a male of 29 years, 1.86cm, 70kg. i would like to know what could be the problem, i have been experiencing pain when urinating, but also sometimes there was some blood at the end of passing urine, although clear blood is not coming anymore, the urine gets to be yellowish and bit reddish sometimes.have tried cranberry juice but it seems to help just for a short time, the doctor has tested for almost everything from infection kidney, bladder to urinal infection, STD's and said everything seems fine. So i am clueless what could be really the problem, this has been going on for over 1.5 years now.
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 53 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

Your history fits in with the clinical picture of hematuria.
Other possibilities are bladder stones and sexually transmitted diseases.
However, since all your investigation results have come back as normal, there is no need to worry. I'm assuming urine examination, kidney function test and an ultrasound abdomen has been done.

Have you been taking any medications like Vitamin B complex/other medicines or foods like beetroot etc, which can sometimes give a XXXXXXX orange/ reddish color to the urine, making you think it might have been blood?

I would suggest that you drink at least 8 glasses of water a day (1 glass is roughly equal to 250 ml).
In addition to that ,try drinking 3 glasses of water on an empty stomach as soon as you wake up. I know this is not possible on the first go, so start gradually. Start by drinking one glass of water on an empty stomach first thing in the morning for two - three days. Then gradually increase it to 2 glasses in the morning and thereafter 3 glasses. It helps clean your excretory system and flush out the toxins if any.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan