Experiencing pain under shoulder blade radiating towards the armpit. How to get relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've been swinging golf clubs several days a week and I recently started experiencing pain under my left shoulder blade radiating towards the armpit. Extremely XXXXXX breaths aggravate the pain. There is no pain to the touch. It actually feels like it is rib cartilage or the serratus anterior. I felt it last week and when it subsided after a few days I hit 3 buckets of golf balls. Pain came back worse.

I am male, 36, in very good shape, strong core and back (I XXXXXX out at 15 pullups).
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From your description, the pain that you have seems to be due to a muscle pull or a stress injury to the muscles in the area.
Such pain usually subsides on taking adequate rest, doing a regular hot fomentation in the area and taking a mild pain killer in combination with an effective muscle relaxant. The symptoms are likely to improve over next 4-5 days after appropriate treatment.
I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the tightness.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.