Experiencing pain under rib cage, lightheaded, vomiting and have fever. Medical cure?

For three days I have been experiencing acute pain under my right rib cage. I have vomited and Im experiencing lightheadedness, and the first day or two I had a fever. Fever is gone but the pain remains, as does the vomiting and dizziness.
I dont have constipation. I am quite regular. Its so painful I cant sleep and I cant sit comfortably or lay down. The only thing that makes it feel better is a heating bad. I dont want to run to the doctors office if its nothing serious
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
I am afraid it could be very fast concluding you might not need to see your physician.
I pain around the rib cage, accompanied by vomiting and fever brings 2 main diagnostic possibilities in mind. Firs it could be a lower lobe pneumonia or a kidney infection called pyelonephritis. However conditions like cholecystitis (inflammation of the gall bladder and atypical appendicitis could also be involved.
I good physical examination and clinical history shall be very important in the clinical evaluation of this patient. An abdominal ultrasound and/ or a chest X XXXXXXX shall be key examinations most of the time to be sure of the integrity of these organs.
Getting consulted by a physician to get a clear diagnoses, in my humble opinion, is the best thing to do. This shall aid in giving appropriate treatment if need be and very comforting psychologically if nothing is noted.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.