Experiencing pain on outer mid area hip. Is this indicating potential strain back or possible L4 L5 disc issue?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I'm experiencing pain starting on the outer mid-area of my hip that is transferring down the front of my quad muscle. Is this indicating a potential strain from my back or a possible L4 L5 disc issue?
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 47 minutes later

As you had already 3 surgeries for your disc issue,it seems that you are suffering from degenerative disc disease. This new radiating pain could be due to lumbar disc bulge compressing over nerve roots.

If the radiation of pain persist and you developed parasthesia or numbness, get a new MRI done and consult your doctor for thorough evaluation.
Avoid forward bending and lifting heavy weight as it increases pressure over nerve roots.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Follow-up: Experiencing pain on outer mid area hip. Is this indicating potential strain back or possible L4 L5 disc issue? 3 hours later
This pain is on the opposite side from any previous problems that I have had in the nearly 40 years of back problems that I have suffered. Is that normal?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Radiation of Pain to lower limb can occur to either side. It depends upon which side of nerve root compressed. So pain can occur on opposite side from your previous problems you had.

I hope that clear your doubts.