Experiencing pain on lower leg. Noticed lump on it. How to cure this?

hi my boyfriend has a pin in his lower leg from ankle to knee.. yesterday after complaining the area around the bolts based near the ankle where aching i noticed on the front of his XXXXXXX a area the size of an egg was lumpy.. and when i say lumpy it was almost like there is several ball bearings under the skin in a circular area,, what could this be as he doesnt want to go to a & e as its the weekend and not an emergency.. we r both worried about it.. never noticed it before??
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 2 hours later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Is the area painful and not allowing weight bearing? Or just an ache?
Is there any bruise or discoloration there?
Is he feverish/ has chills?
How long ago was the surgery done?
Was there any recent trauma to the operated area?
Does he do sports?

I think it could be:
1. Implant (plate/ rod) dislocation or implant fracture
2. If fever, pain is present, an infection is likely or uncommonly a mal-union of bones.

It would greatly help if you could upload photo of the part and lump here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

He can take simple pain killers like acetaminophen till then.
He has to get medical attention if any answers are 'yes'. need to be the ER.
I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this query.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!
Follow-up: Experiencing pain on lower leg. Noticed lump on it. How to cure this? 3 hours later
There is no pain in the area, he isn't suffering a fever or chills, no bruising, the operation was carried out 12 years ago, there is no bruising, he banged the area a few weeks ago at work, and he doesn't do sports... I don't have a photo of the area I'm afraid.
Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 7 hours later
Thanks for the answers.
It is a bit difficult to tell you surely what it is. It is not infective.

Most likely a blunt trauma and reactionary swelling or implant (nail) dislocation are the possibilities.

A photo would have helped. Anyway, I would advise an orthopaedic expert's opinion on this.

I hope this helps.
Take care !