Experiencing pain, itching and swelling around vagina. What cure should be done?

May 2013
I am a 61 year old woman. Over the last couple of months I have been experiencing pain and itching around my vagina. Also, my clitoris seems to be swollen and the whole area is very red. Sitting is uncomfortable. Bathing in tepid water sometimes eases the pain for a short time, as does applying anaestetc cream. I have changed washing powders etc in case something chemical is causing the problem but to no avail.
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 19 minutes later

The possibilities are:
During menopause the estrogen levels in the body will decrease which can lead to thinning and drying of vaginal walls and surrounding structures leading to itching.
When itching leads to scratching that can further lead to infection and inflammatory signs like redness, swelling etc.

The possibility of yeast infection is there.

Contact dermatitis is another possibility.

As any kind of problem should be carefully treated in this age group better consult gynecologist and get examined to find out the actual cause of your problem and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.