Experiencing pain in wrist when exhaling a deep breath. What is causing this?

Pulmonologist
Question
I've been experiencing (for the past 4-5 days), pain in my left wrist / low forearm area (palm side) on occasion when exhaling a XXXXXXX breath or coughing hard. The pain is very short in duration (seconds) -- and again, only happens on occasion with when exhaling a XXXXXXX breath or coughing hard. The pain does not radiate up or down the arm. I don't have any tingling or numbness. I don't have any chest pain. I have not injured it. Can you help with an explanation as to what could be causing this strange symptom?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from migraine with sleep apnea with obesity.

2. Your current symptom of short pain in left wrist and forearm on XXXXXXX exhalation or coughing is not commonly seen.

3. However it is suggested that a xray chest pa view /MRI Neck and thorax be done and one needs to look for cervical rib, thoracic inlet / outlet syndromes.

4. Obesity and short neck have an association with such syndromes. In absence of such findings, local causes need to be evaluated in consultation with an orthopedician.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Experiencing pain in wrist when exhaling a deep breath. What is causing this? 8 minutes later
Thank you for your thoughtful review and response. Two follow up questions:
1. Do you think there is any concern that I have a tumor in one of these areas (e.g. neck or thorax) causing this?
2. Curious what you mean by "other local causes?"

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 11 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query. After going through the follow up query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Any local space occupying lesion like tumor should also have chest symptoms. Hence it is less likely. However a clear picture can only emerge after investigations as advised in above post.

2. Local causes mean orthopedic causes like inflammation of muscle, tendon sheaths or joints and will have to be evaluated by an orthopedician.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB