Experiencing pain in wrist and hand. X-ray, mri, blood test normal. Not getting cure. Safe remedy?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi doctor, question...
Woke up Feb. 11 with massive pain through out my left wrist/hand. Inflammation on top of wrist. Pain 10/10. Went to the doctor immediately. Doctor said it was sprained. Gave me meds and advised to get some rest. Pain was stil there. Couldn't do simple things like lift a towel, use a control remote, tie my shoes, etc. Finally took xrays. They came out clear & negative. Pain still there but a little better. Finally they took blood and MRI. Blood was good & healthy and MRI results were negative. Healthy man. All I've been doing is therapy and ice, but it's been almost 3 months now and the swellnes is still there. Can't bend my wrist backwards or fully grip. Pain is still there, although not like before though. I am doing better, but I still can't do a lot of stuff like put a lot of pressure on my hand, like do a pushup or I'll Is it just that I need to be patient and let it heal? 3 months now!! DOCTOR, PLEASE HELP ME!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO??!!! MY DOCTOR AND SPECIALIST HAVE DONE EVERYTHING. I'M DEPENDING ON MY THERAPIST NOW. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I DO? ANY ADVICE??? AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG???
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

You are not doing anything wrong.It seems you might developed muscle strain over wrist and hand. As your xray, bood tests and MRI are negative you need not to worry. Some time if adequate rest is not given ,it take some more time to heal.
To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomatation at the site. Ice is more effective in initial 48 hrs only.So I suggest you to do hot fomatation.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles.

Hope this helps you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.