Experiencing pain in upper thigh when going up and down stairs. Should I visit ER?

Nov 2013

I have been experiencing pain in upper right thigh when going up and down stairs and standing from sitting position. Does not feel like muscle pain - feels like it is stemming from the bone. If walking on flat level ground, it is fine, only hurts on stairs and hills. This started about 6 months ago as a pain going up/down a flight of more than about 10 stairs. Now - I have two steps going into my home and pain flares on first step. Is this something I need to worry about or have checked?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms, the pain could either be arising from the hip joint or one of the ligaments in the upper thigh.

I agree with you that the symptoms do not suggest a muscle disease.

As of now, you can do muscle strengthening exercises around the hip joint. You may take the help of a physical therapist in learning those exercises.

If pain is more, you may take analgesics, such as ibuprofen.

As of now, there is no need to worry. However, if you do not improve with exercises, you may consult a doctor for evaluation.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM