Experiencing pain in toe due to long nail and noticed blisters. What should I do?

General Surgeon
I was experiencing pain in my little toe yesterday and figured it was due to my nail being too long. I had also used an emery board to file down what seemed to ge a corn. I just went to the pharmacy and bought neosporin and a toe protector. When I took my sock off and started to examine the toe more closely I pulled my toes apart and saw a hole that was surrounded by what looked like a blister. I squeezed the whole and there was a bad odor. I remember my mother had this and her whole almost went to the bone. What should I do. P.S. I wear white socks all day long and sleep in them. Thanks
Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Such ingrowing nail or irritation due to too long nail usually results with local infection. And as on the toes there are many bacterias, it can be hardly treatable without medical attention. Bad smell indicates that there has an abscess been created. In such cases you should visit a surgeon who can make an incision so the puss can be evacuated. Without it, there will be very hard to treat it. Moreover, such infection can spread to whole body in some cases. Some antibiotics might be necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.