Experiencing pain in neck, hand and fingers. How to diagnose my symptoms?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I experiance pain in my neck radiating to my left hand fingers for the last few days. would like to know the possible reasons and remedies.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 20 hours later
Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX for your health related query.

What you are experiencing is called 'Radiculopathy'. It basically suggests entrapment of a nerve root in your cervical spine in its origin or course. It is somehow not so uncommon now in younger population and we like to call it industrial neck pain, since its prediliction towards people working in computer related industry.

I was hoping you would shed more light on the possible reasons for its appearance, like history of lifting weights, episodes of over-exertion during work, long hours on computer, inappropriate posture while sleeping or sitting, lack of proper nutrition-exercises-rest-recreation or any other relevant past medical history. Figure out which amongst these or any other event that triggered the symptoms.

If it has been persistent or even increasing since few days, you need to visit your orthopaedician. Depending upon the clinical findings they might ask you to get an x XXXXXXX or MRI done, which shall help establish a diagnosis and in turn allow one to formulate a treatment plan.

Let me assure you that this is temporary and self limiting illness that usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your physician prescribes) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics).

Hope this answers your query. Please fell free to ask more, I'm available for follow up.