Experiencing pain in lower ribs radiating to back. Develops after sitting for while or laying down. Suggest?

For over year now, I have been experiencing severe pain in my lower left ribs that radiates around to my back. The pain develops after sitting for a little while, or laying down. The pain gets so bad at times I feel as if I am going to throw up. Sometimes at night if I stretch out the left side of my body (left arm over my head) it slightly alleviates the pain. I have not been to a doctor about it yet, as I am afraid they will just tell me its nothing.
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It sounds like chronic PANCREATITIS

Detailed Answer:

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concerns.

There are two possible cause of the pain what radiates back.
1) nerve impingement
2) Pancreatitis.

The nerve impingement will give similar symptoms like you described except the feeling of throwing up/vomiting/nausea.

So the second possibility is more likely with the nausea feeling.

I would advice you to visit near by physician since the diagnosis will need some blood tests and may be ultrasound examination of the area.

Thanks of the query, please feel free to contact me in case of further concerns.