Experiencing pain in lower back and leg. Brain MRI and blood test normal. Multiple sclerosis?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
Im 37 yrs old for the pass month been having constant low back pain pain in legs pins and needles sensation on top of foot also when i cross legs. Sometimes whole body aches been like this for the pass 7 yrs. Have done 3 brain mri all normal cervical and thoracic all normal 2 emg normal blood work normal what are the chances of it being ms .cause anxiety cause these symptoms.thanks
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Visvanathan K 35 minutes later

Firstly, I want to know if your MRI scans have included the lumps acrylic region as well and if so, is that also fine? Some of the symptoms could be arising from compression of the lumbosacral nerve roots.

To answer your other question, it is not possible to rule out MS. However, I would first rule out the more common lumbar disc prolapse before thinking of other causes.

Hope this helps?

Follow-up: Experiencing pain in lower back and leg. Brain MRI and blood test normal. Multiple sclerosis? 1 hour later
Had a lumbar mri have disc herniation that was 5 yrs ago

Answered by Dr. Visvanathan K 22 minutes later

That is more likely the cause of your symptoms. All except your generalised body ache can be explained by a lumbar disc herniation. I would be inclined to get a review for that and repeat an MRI if required to better assess the situation.

Hope this helps.

Drs think fibromylagia

Answered by Dr. Visvanathan K 18 minutes later

Fibromyalgia can be the cause of the low back pain, generalised body ache etc. However, it is unlikely to cause the tingling and pins and needles you report when the posture is changed. That is why I would put my money on some of your symptoms being secondary to a slipped disc. However, whatever be the cause, symptomatic treatment of the pain and leading an active lifestyle will help alleviate the symptoms. Therefore my advice is to consult a Neurosurgeon who can examine you and decide if a repeat MRI is needed and thereafter plan treatment as per the results.

Hope this helps.