Experiencing pain in leg. What am I suffering from? Required cure?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Doctor,
I am facing pain in my right leg. I can always feel the pain if i lift my right leg and the pain starts from my hip joint till the right knee. I am feeling this pain from last 6-7months I can give you an example of when i get this pain - when i try to seat in a car from left side. This where i put my left leg first in the car and then i have to lift my right leg to get it inside the car. Please advice what i should do?
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

From description it seems you might be suffering from siatica. Sciatica refers to pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve — which branches from your lower back through your hips and buttocks and down each leg. Typically, sciatica affects only one side of your body.

Although the pain associated with sciatica can be severe, most cases resolve with just conservative treatments in a few weeks.

MRI is needed to establish the cause of sciatica, so that appropriate treatment can be prescribed. Sciatica do respond well to bed rest and analgesics (pain killer) and is right mode of treatment.

The definitive treatment depends upon the cause of sciatica. I would suggest you to consult an orthopediac surgeon who may order MRI to determine cause of sciatica (level and degree in case of disc herniation) and may suggest other mode of treatment. After initial few days of bed rest, you needs physiotherapy (exercises).

Hope this helps you. if you have any further queries I am happy to answer, if no kindly close the query & rate it.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.