Experiencing pain in knee joints while climbing stairs. What is the problem?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Off late, I am experiencing that my knee joints pain when I try taking the stairs. I do not have any difficulty walking for miles (normally do a walking routine for about an hour and then a fifteen minute stretch routine for four-five times a week). I do not feel the pain if I take the stairs in a swifter fashion. But, then experience it when I take the stairs one at a time. What do you think might be the reason?
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query

You might be suffering from patellar tendinitis or chondromalacia patellae, which causes pain in your knee when you try to climb the stairs. This type of knee pain related to overuse or physical activity.

Slight modifications in your life style can help.

-     Do regular knee exercises (quadriceps and hamstrings).
-     Always warm up before exercising and cool down afterwards. Stretch your quadriceps and hamstrings.
-     Lose weight if you are overweight. Every pound that you are overweight puts about 5 extra pounds of pressure on your knee cap when you go up and down stairs.
-     If you have flat feet, try special shoe inserts and arch supports (orthotics).
-     Make sure your running shoes are made well, fit well, and have good cushioning.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health....