Experiencing pain in knee joint. X-ray normal. What could be the problem?

Hello doctor, I am experiencing Pain in my Left knee joint when I try taking the stairs. X-ray shows normal. What could be the problem and please suggest the solution.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Strain related pain perhaps...

Detailed Answer:

Joints of lower limbs have to deal with bearing the weight of the body. And since knee is also subjected to rotational movements too, it is the first joint that becomes painful while walking, running, climbing stairs and during other motion.

Repeated strains leads to degenerative changes. Since X-ray is normal, it is unlikely that you have something serious to worry about. However if the pain is troubling and persists for long duration, it would be better to get CT/MRI scans to look for subtle changes missed on X-ray.

Solution to this problem is to reduce strain on knee. Some measures that I suggest my patients are:
- Verify your weight; if that's above limits, you will need to shed down extra load
- Climb slowly and do not rush through the stairs. You can minimize rotational strains. Use the right limb to lift your weight while climbing stairs.
- If you are in pain, use elevators than stairs till you are better.
- Use knee supports / knee braces to keep your knee stable.
- Start calcium supplements for 2-3 months.
- Practice mild exercise and yoga to strengthen knee support.
- If you develop severe pain, treat it with pain killers at the earliest.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.