Experiencing pain in hip with pins and needle sensation on leg. Temporary relief from advil. Any cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been experiencing pain in my hip and down the right leg with pins and needles from the knee down. Now it feels as though my right ovary is affected and quite sore. I am having a hard time being on my feet. Taking Advils but little relief happens. Lying down helps things subside. Am flying home tomorrow and wonder how I can get myself through that ordeal with some comfort. I am grateful for your advice...thank you.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of PIVD at lumbar region. Due to this Disc bulge pressure occurs on nerve roots & radiation of pain and numbness or pins and needles occurs in that dermatotome ( below knee in your case). Physiotherapy like intermittent lumbar traction , back strengthening exercise reduces pressure of disc bulge for some time & gives relief.

The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the lower back region and affected hip. Warm compresses will also help.
Having said that, you might want to consult your orthopaedician for a detailed physical examination and appropriate investigations. It might help with few medications and physiotherapy for a few days.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.