Experiencing pain in hand, bleeding from nose. What should be done?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hi Doctor My Mom age is 40 and she always says her left hand is paining and from few days she is bleeding in her nose what should i do .
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 8 hours later
Thank you for the query.

Pain in the left hand alone without any chest discomfort may not be due to cardiac causes. Local musculo-skeletal causes, nerve related problems, cervical spondylosis, etc should be considered. If there is chest discomfort also, then investigations like ECG, Treadmill test, echocardiography, etc can be done.

Bleeding from the nose also can be due to many causes. Her BP needs to be checked. An ENT surgeon should evaluate her for any local causes for bleeding. In addition, simple blood tests like hemogram, blood coagulation profile, etc need to be done.

Initially, she could get a complete clinical evaluation done by a competent physician. Depending on the clinical findings, further investigations can be done so that the correct diagnosis can be made. The exact treatment will depend on the diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me for any further clarifications.

With regards,
Dr Raja Sekhar Varma, MD, DM
Consultant Interventional Cardiologist