Experiencing pain in chest and around breast bone after lifting weight. What is wrong?

Hi, I lifted a heavy tv, normally ok, but suddenly I had pain, in my Chest just around the brest bone to the left, has lasted for a while.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 14 minutes later
Dear Sir

A pain which comes on exertion/exercise or stress-like lifting a weight can be anginal (pain related to heart). The other possibility is that you pulled a muscle or there was due to sudden stress.

A typical anginal pain, comes with exertion, goes away with rest and is usually behind midchest. It is a feeling of heaviness of chest as if someone has put a weight on chest. The pain which comes or goes on movement in bed or in particular posture, which can be elicited by pressing or touching on chest, which does not increases on exercise or exertion is less likely to be anginal.

The best way to sort out is to see your physician and get examined. If he could find a local tissue injury, then probably you should not worry about a cardiac cause but he finds none, then he would like to rule out a cardiac cause for your pain.

Hope I clarified your doubts. Feel free to discuss further.
Sukhvinder Singh