Experiencing pain in calf, no swelling appeared. What is causing this?

I have a pain in my calf when I sit in certain positions. There is no swelling and it is not discoloured

Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

The calf refers to the region at the back of the leg just below the knee. It is muscular and forms the Achilles's tendon below.

Given your age, the most likely cause of your pain would be a muscle strain. Muscle strain results from a stretch of the muscle during exercise or movement especially after a forceful turn or step. Management includes:
-use of ice
-compress the calf to prevent blood from poling in the very acute situation
-elevate the leg especially in first 24 hours to prevent swelling
-use of anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen.
Other possible causes could be
-Pain due to baker's cyst and
-blot clot.
You should try the above steps in order to manage the pain. Pain should be able to decrease within few days. However, if the pain does not reduce, or the calf swells or has color change or is red and you have a fever, you should seek medical help immediately.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, i will be ready to help.
Best regards
Follow-up: Experiencing pain in calf, no swelling appeared. What is causing this? 5 minutes later

I forgot to put that has been going on for several months now and just doesn't seem to want to stop.

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 13 minutes later
thanks once more for the query.

The fact that the pain has been going on for months now with no discoloration nor swelling is more in favor of a muscle strain and a deep venous thrombosis has to be rule out. Deep venous thrombosis is more common in obese individuals and in those who recently had a trauma.

You should follow the above steps in the first response and have enough rest. You might consider seeing a doctor for an evaluation and a doppler ultrasound to rule out deep venous thrombosis
Hope this answers your query. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.
Best regards