Experiencing pain in arm and leg during cold weather. Is this rheumatism?

hi, i live in West Africa, during the Harmattan season (cold dry winds) i experience pain in my left arm when i keep it warm the pain fades away. Now its back again but this time the pain travels from my left arm to my right wrist or my entire leg. Id like to know if its rheumatism? No visible inflammation or red coloration..just pain within. This also occurs when I sleep in an AC room. It happens during a specific time of the year and im okay the rest of the months.
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The symptoms you are describing of are suggestive of fibromyalgia.

Here the patient has tender points and pain spreading out. These pains are worse in cold weather as described by you.

After confirmation of the diagnosis your doctor will advise you regarding stress relief methods. Exercise may be of help. Massage and relaxation techniques (walking, yoga, breathing exercise) may be of use. Good sleep and a well balanced diet is always advised. If the symptoms do not improve with these then various drugs including antidepressant medications may be prescribed by your doctor.

Hope this helps.