Experiencing pain in abdomen closer to hip line, after heavy lifting. What can be done?

my name is XXXXX. I experienced pain in my left side of my abs closer to the hip line, since two weeks ago after lifting a very heavy steel pot. The pain travels straight down to the lower abs. The pain comes back once in a while, now it is more intense and continuous. I exercise regularly. Today is getting very upsetting. What I should do? Thank you,XXXXX

Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 22 minutes later
Dear patient,

By the description of the symptoms, the location and the mechanism that precipitated the symptoms, condition would be very suggestive of an abdominal muscle strain; in these cases, there is usually rupture of muscle fibers and local inflammation. Therefore, some basic non-medication measures can help, such as topical ice with a plastic bag (or ice packs from pharmacy) three times a day, chamomille tea compresses in the area. From a medication stand point, an short course of an antiinflammatory such as ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac, etc for 5-7 days would help significantly. There are topical gels of these agents (eg. diclofenac gel) that also may be helpful. Things should get better with this conservative approach and some time. If they dont, I would advise to be seen by a provider who can conduct a physical examination and determine if any further workup is needed

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN