Experiencing pain around kidney region. Taking voltaren rapid. Havig BP and migraine. Voltaren unsuitable for anti-inflammable?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hi, i am taking voltaren rapid 25 mg for hip pain. I am experiencing pain around the kydney region - too much aspirin many years ago caused me to pee blood! Do you think the voltaren may be an unsuitable anti-inflammable?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

It is not commonly reported side effect of voltaren,especially not 25mg dose, but it is possible of course. Aspirin is more likely to cause kidney side effects than voltaren.

So you should consider some other causes of kidney pain such as kidney stone, uroinfection or referred pain from hip. So just do urine analysis and kidney ultrasound to rule this out.
If this is inflammatory or degenerative arthritis(and in most cases is), then voltaren is the best choice. If you want to check did voltaren cause your kidney pain, you can try with naproxen or ibuprofen for 1 week if you dont have stomach problems. There is also voltaren gel which can be used.

There is always possibility of taking some stronger medicines: corticosteroids, or disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) like methotrexate and sulfasalazine, but these have more serious side effects and I always suggest to use NSAIDs-voltaren for mild and moderate hip pain.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.