Experiencing pain and burning sensation while urinating. Could it be chlamydia?

I am 32 male (Gay). I am experiencing pain and burning sensation while urinating. Also note that there is semen (or like) discharge post urination and sometimes during the day. Thre is also a mild pain when I press my penis - on the shaft in the middle.
This has developed since yesterday. My last sexual encounter was 2 weeks back - with a person I know for 3 months (and have had sex few times).

I did some searching online and note that this could be case of Chlamydia. Few questions:
- Is it case of Chlymdia? Or I see that Gnorrhea has similar symptons. How I can test and be sure.
- Can I know more about these diseases - how is it caused? (I had unprotected anal sex with my partner).
- I wanted to know more about this disease, how it can be cured, what precautions / actions I need to take further.

Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Chlamydia infection are usually asymptomatic and tenderness over penis is not a feature.It is caused by bacteria called chlamydia trachomatis.It is treatable by antibiotics.

The symptoms described by you match more of Gonorrhea than chlamydia.

Gonorrhea is sexually transmitted disease caused by bacteria called neisseria gonorrhea.It is characterised by
-post urinary discharge and pain /burning while micturition.
-Increased urinary frequency or urgency
-tender or swollen testicles
-Sore throat (gonococcal pharyngitis)

The diagnosis can be confirmed by doing a simple bedside procedure called gram stain.Your discharge will be taken on a glass slide and stained by Grams iodine stain.This smear is later seen under microscope where the causative bacteria can be visualised.

It is important to get it diagnosed and treated at the earliest to prevent complications like
-Joint infections
-Heart valve infection

Treatment is with appropriate antibiotics usually oral antibiotics for seven days are enough to cure the infection(unless complicated).

Risk factors for this kind of infection:
-Have multiple sexual partners
-Have a partner with a past history of any sexually transmitted infection
-Do not use a condom during sex
-Abuse alcohol or illegal substances
-High risk exposure like sex with commercial sex worker/anal sex.

Precaution would be to avoid such practices.
Anal sex is also high risk for transmission of HIV,Hepatitis B XXXXXXX bowel syndrome etc.Protected anal sex is also considered risky and unprotected still high risk.

I encourage you to visit a dermatologist and get proper treatment.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Dermatology ,STD,HIV
Follow-up: Experiencing pain and burning sensation while urinating. Could it be chlamydia? 11 hours later
Thanks Doctor,

On the above revert, just wanted following clarification:
1. I dont have the following two symptons
-tender or swollen testicles
-Sore throat (gonococcal pharyngitis)
Would this still be Gnorrhea?

2. Wanted to understand more by what you mean as Alchol and Drug abuse - how can this cause Gnorrhea?

3. Is this completely curable?

4. Can you recommend a Dermatalogist I can visit in South Mumbai?

5. Since the burning sensation was not bearable, I did some self-medication last night. I am taking Azithromycin tablets 250mg. I took 2 last night and 1 today morning. There has been immense relief. There is no discharge today morning after urination. Will this be ok for now till I visit a doctor.

Thanks once again.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

To answer your queries.
1)All the symptoms are not usuaaly present in patient.One or 2 may be present.It still can be gonorrhea.
2)Alcohol and drug abusers have weak immunity and prone for risky sexual behaviour.
This can lead to infections like gonorrhea.
3)It is completely curable after correct treatment for correct duration.
4)Dr.D. G Saple's Clinic , Dadar East , Mumbai is a very XXXXXXX experienced dermatologist and venerologist.If possible visit him only.

5) Visit a dermatologist at earliest .Self medication can lead to difficulty in diagnosis and treatment later on.