Experiencing pain after passing stools and chronic inflammation. Removal of polyps and anal skin tag. What to do?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am experiencing pain after passing stools and chronic inflammation for hours afterwards. I have recently (mid May) undergone colonoscopy and removal of polyps and surgical removal of anal skin tag. Doc ruled out haemorrhoids and says it is a 'mechanical' problem. I used to suffer from this condition perhaps a few times a year and had long periods of remission - now pain is daily and is debilitating, preventing me from everyday tasks, such as exercise, driving etc. Only relief is taking painkillers after toilet visit - other symptoms include occasional vomiting, irritability, loose stools with undigested food, bloating and sometimes abdominal pain (though this is not severe). Also sleep disturbance. What is most likely cause and how can I manage these symptoms. I have been having occasional acupuncture sessions and taking Chinese herbal medicine, which helps somewhat although pain returns day after treatment. ps my mother has also had mild inflammatory problems, although tends to be only once per year
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 1 hour later
Would suggest that if colonoscopy is normal then an anatomical cause seems ruled out.
Would suggest you to :
1. Do SITZ BATH 2-3 times per day. Take a wide basin with XXXXXXX warm water and add a cupufull of betadine solution and sit in it for 5-10 minutes. This shall clean the area and also work as a massage.
2. If you are constipated make sure you have lot of fibres and fluid in your diet to have soft stools.
Try these and see how much benefit it gives you.
Follow-up: Experiencing pain after passing stools and chronic inflammation. Removal of polyps and anal skin tag. What to do? 6 hours later
Will try the above. It was my understanding that the colonoscopy only assessed the large colon. Is this correct? Should I be asking my doctor to carry out blood test if symptoms continue or other tests to check function of small intestine? At the moment my diet is concerning me as taking at least 5 portions of fruit/veg each day and do not know if certain foods are simply aggravating the condition. I was beginning to think that I should avoid too much fruit in an attempt to reduce the inflammation of the lower bowel?
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 1 hour later
Yes colonoscopy for large colon. small bowel enteroscopy for small intestine. This is not needed now

Looking at your problem colonoscopy appears to be the right test to rule out large bowel problems. If symptoms continue yes further blood tests are recommended.
Please do take lot of green leafy vegetables, and take fibrous fruits for example banana. Fruits per se do not cause inflammation of the large bowel.
take care