Experiencing on and off pain behind ear after drinking alcohol. Concerned

Ive been experiencing on and off pain behind my ears after drinking alcohol..This has been ongoing for quite a number of years now and doesnt happen all the time. Its just that lately, whenever i take a few sips, the pain commences straight away
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 32 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you have reported.

There is no disorder which would possibly caused these types of symptoms in a physical sense. If you had some type of enzyme deficiency or metabolic problem it would take some time before you felt some symptoms.

I suspect that your symptoms are psychologically related. Your body has become somehow conditioned to respond this way after consuming alcohol.

The only other possible consideration would be that your salivary glands maybe stimulated by the alcohol. This might cause some degree of discomfort in the area which you describe.

Overall I am not concerned that this is anything worrisome. While this may be uncomfortable it is not life-threatening.

Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Experiencing on and off pain behind ear after drinking alcohol. Concerned 6 minutes later
The reason why i queried this to begin with was that i thought initially this was linked to Hodgkins in some way as the pain is right below my right ear lobe..I guess the more positive thing is that ive had this pain on and off for many years now but got more worried recently as its happening all the time
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 minutes later
You are exactly right. If this were some type of lymphoma it would have progressed significantly by now.

I am again convinced that this is nothing worrisome. I would just continue to monitor things for now.

Dr Robert