Experiencing numbness with tingling sensation from nose to head. Should I visit ER?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have some sort of numbness and tingling spread from my nose to the right side of my head. When I press on the bridge of my nose it goes off. I had this for some time a year or two before and it got disappeared . Now it has come back again . It keps me worrying.Is there any need to go for immediate medical help?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
You are most probably suffering from facial parasthesias which could be mostly neurological or vascular or as a symptom complex of premenopausal / menopausal changes.
Any type of tingling, burning, or numbness is usually a symptom related to a sensory nerve being damaged, diseased, or injured. Causes depend on the exact location of the paresthesia sensations, but typically include a physical nerve injury type condition (e.g. a nerve entrapment or some type of pressure being applied to a nerve directly or to the spinal attachment of that nerve), or a disease condition affecting the nerves (e.g. Neuropathy , diabetes, and others) or other causes like vitamin b deficiency , hormonal imbalances ( menopause), migraines, stress anxiety etc
I understand your concern as a vigilant health conscious individual and yes I would recommend you should get it evaluated by your primary care physician . However it is not an emergency and a routine appointment can be taken if feasible .
As you had had similar symptoms before on & off its less likely some acute condition like a pressure on nerve and more likely to be hormonal or migraine related symptom.
So please do not worry but nevertheless its best to get it evaluated.
Meanwhile you should make sure you have a balanced diet , plenty of fluids, regular exercise and avoid any stress / anxiety to help your body recover from this annoying symptom.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to clear any further doubts.