Experiencing numbness on the bottoms of feet. Had sciatica pain. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am experiencing numbness on the bottoms of both feet. About a week ago, I flew to XXXXXXX Fe and had very swollen ankles. When I fly I experience this. But the numbness has not gone away. I did have some sciatica pain and will see my physical therapist. XXXXXXX St Amant
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do consult a neurophysician to find out cause.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern for these symptoms. Numbness at the bottom of the feet can be due to a lumbar spine. This can be found out by getting an MRI of the spine done.

Other causes include injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply to the legs as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause tingling and pins and needle sensations.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.