Experiencing night sweats more than usual. Should be worried ?

I have been experiencing night sweats more than i usually do, should I be worried or is this normal. I am a 22 yr old female.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

The first cause for night sweats in young females is warm weather and wearing too many clothes at bedtime. Please check it out and if it is not there then other causes should be evaluated.

These include:

1)     Chronic infections

2)     Idiopathic hyperhidrosis

3)     Taking some medications

4)     Malignancies

5)     Hypoglycemia

6)     Hormonal disorders like hyperthyroidism

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormone levels checked. If the symptoms persist then chronic infections by getting a complete blood profile and a hormonal profile needs to be done.

Till then, wear light cotton clothes at bedtime and sleep under an A/C if you have a warm climate.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.