Experiencing nerve pain in upper back and neck. Could this be due to coughing?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
I'm getting over a virus and have asthma so have been coughing quite a bit. I'm feeling better but now in the evening have been experiencing what feels like nerve pains in my left upper back and neck and side when I breath.. Goes away in a few hours but comes back the next night. I just was awakened by this pain which settled in lower left neck. Could this be from all the coughing? It is worse tonight than it's been the past 2 evenings.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Attributed to irritation of Diaphragm Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to irritation of Diaphragm, secondary to the viral infection. Phrenic nerve is the nerve supplying the diaphragm, which helps in respiration. Due to the viral infection, presence of fluid or focus of infection in the pleura, there is irritation of Diaphragm during continuous bouts of cough, which gets referred to the back & neck as nerve pains (the symptoms as mentioned in your post) Investigation like X ray of the chest will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis. Based upon that, further management steps could be taken. So, it will be better to consult your treating Doctor & discuss regarding this. Till then, maintain adequate nutrition & hydration status and continue your medications. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Wishing you a good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Experiencing nerve pain in upper back and neck. Could this be due to coughing? 12 hours later
Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 31 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks for your appreciation Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your appreciation. Wishing you a Healthy Life. Take care.