Experiencing nausea, light headedness and hot flashes. Not on medication. What could this be?

Nephrologist
Question
I have been experiencing nausea, lightheadedness, hot flashes and my head feels full. I have had 3 episodes within the last week. When I lay down for an hour or so I'm fine. What could this be? I'm not overweight, not taking any medications, I'm a healthy 50 y/o female
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more details about you in order to come to a conclusion

1. Have you reached menopause? If yes then how long age?
2. When was the last time you got your blood pressure checked?
3. Are you under stress lately? have you gained weight recently?

Please get back to me with the answers, I am awaiting your reply

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Experiencing nausea, light headedness and hot flashes. Not on medication. What could this be? 20 hours later
I had an ablation 5 years ago with no bleeding and minimal cramps. No stress or weight gain. B/P checked today 127/80

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Hello

Thanks for writing back

After going through your history again and with the further info given I think you could be suffering from a thyroid dysfunction. I would suggest you to approach your physician for a quick examination of the thyroid gland and also to get a thyroid profile done.
The other major possibility are arrhythmias which presents similarly. Please ask your physician to look into this matter as well, he might suggest an EKG and echo to rule this out.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accepts answer

I wish you good health