Experiencing nausea and diarrhea. History of GERD. Gaining weight. Feeling fullness in abdominal area. What to do?

Question
i began experiencing nausea and diarrhea last Friday. Also a feeling of "fullness" in the lower abdomen.. I have a history of GERD, and have been having great difficulty over the past year losing the menopause weight. This past month i have made a great effort, kept my intake to 1200 calories or less, walked on hilly terrain for 2.5 miles daily with weights, and GAINED FIVE POUNDS. I don't know what is going on. I had a CT scan of the abdomen Friday, and today they told me they found "subtle enteritis". I googled it but it's not really helpful. I haven't eaten or drunk anything out of the ordinary
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 47 minutes later
Dear patient

thanks for the query. The issues may actually be independent. it is not uncommon for people doing diet and exercise to gain weight, to some extent, because they are building muscle mass which is heavier than fat. that being said, is only to some extent since a massive weight gain from that is unlikely unless you are a bodybuilder; now, in terms of the gastrointestinal issues, the most common cause of acute nausea and diarrhea is infectious gastroenteritis, usually by a virus and self limited, meaning that symptoms should gradually resolve upon 3-21 days; if not, then we may be dealing with a chronic diarrhea, whose differential diagnosis is different.

The CT scan is helpful to differentiate severe, structural causes of such symptoms

truly yours

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Experiencing nausea and diarrhea. History of GERD. Gaining weight. Feeling fullness in abdominal area. What to do? 4 hours later
2nd try.

I am we'll aware of the increased density of muscle. Because of this, one generally sees a reduction of inches along with the weight gain, rather than an increase in both. But perhaps walking has given me an unusually muscled waist.

I have already ruled out food and drink in that I ate and drank nothing that should cause this sort of illness. I'm obviously not pregnant. My CT supposedly showed "subtle enteritis". I have no clue what that means, even after Googling and asking you. I'd like some assistance in what questions I should be asking my doctor.

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 45 minutes later
2nd try

Enteritis is a general term, it onlymeans inflammation of the bowel. There are a number of potential causes: infectious, autoimmune, malignant, infiltrative diseases, etc each category with a big list. Again, if the issue is persistent diarrhea without an evident cause, other than the basic stool analysis a lower endoscopy may be needed; some entities that cause chronic diarrhea such as celiac disease or microscopic colitis can only be accurately diagnosed with a biopsy

Follow-up: Experiencing nausea and diarrhea. History of GERD. Gaining weight. Feeling fullness in abdominal area. What to do? 3 minutes later
Thank you. I am getting a routine colonoscopy and upper GI Wednesday. Will that assist in clarifying things?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 7 minutes later
It certainly will. The endoscopist will be able to obtain biopsies from both the upper and lower tract, particularly if there is any inflammed/friable area, which can many times provide a specific diagnosis under the microscope