Experiencing muscle cramps after coughing or sneezing. Have cervical spondolysis. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING MUSCLE CRAMPS AFTER COUGHING OR SNEEZING. THE PAIN OCCURS MAINLY AT THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY STOMACH AND AT THE MIDDLE SECTION BELOW THE BONES IN THE CHEST(CENTER OF STOMACH) AT TIMES I AM VERY AFRAID TO SNEEZE AS IT MAY CAUSE CRAMPS. THE PAIN GOES AWAY IMMEDIATELY AFTER I APPLY MEDICATIONS SUCH DEEP HEAT OR OTHER HEATING ELEMENTS. I DO HAVE CERVICAL SPONDOLYSIS (MILD). THE PAIN GET WORST ALSO IF I DO STRAINERS ACTIVITIES. WHAT IS MY PROBLEM LIKELY TO BE. I HAD A FULL BLOOD TEST AND EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE IN GOOD ORDER. I HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE N MILD EARLY DIABETIC. I M 50 YEARS OLD. TQ
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated feature along with mentioned.
Do you have fever/ difficulty in respiration along with mentioned symptoms?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to high possibility of acute viral upper respiratory tract infection.
Lower chest pain behind the ribs could be due to spread of infection in lower respiratory tract with pneumonitis and pleuritis or could be due to muscular ache.
Myalgia ia an integral prodromal symptom of viral infection.
As such viral infection generally persist for 3-5 days and self remitting in nature.

As such there is no correlation between cervical spondylitis, diabetes, hypertension and present symptoms.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ ENT surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and chest x XXXXXXX on preliminary basis.
Chest x XXXXXXX will rule out possibility of lower respiratory tract infection.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should also take complete antibiotic therapy, decongestants, cough suppressants and antipyretics.
You should also take analgesics along with muscle relaxants.
You should also perform gargles three times in a day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.
Avoid cold drinks, oily food and yogurt and juices.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Experiencing muscle cramps after coughing or sneezing. Have cervical spondolysis. What to do? 20 hours later
Thank You. Is it curable with the right medications.

Your condition is treatable with above prescribed medication.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Experiencing muscle cramps after coughing or sneezing. Have cervical spondolysis. What to do? 2 days later
I have no fewer, no cough , no flu and no difficulty in breathing. However my blood test shows that my erythrosite sedimentation rate is high fm normal i.e 28. Blood count normal. I did ask the physician on my high rate of sedimentation, she said it is normally due to fever, cough etz and I should not be worried about it. I m concern about it sir. I will go and see the ENT specialist soon for further check up. Thank You Sir. .

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
In my personal opinion, there is no need of consultation with ENT specialist as symptoms are not related with throat/ nose.
Symptoms are mainly confined to lower chest and abdomen.
Your treating doctor is right as ESR is a non-specific investigation and it could be raised due to fever and cough.
At places, you have mentioned that you don't have fever and cough while your treating doctor is also correlating raised ESR with fever and cough.
You should take analgesics along with muscle relaxants.
Sincerely,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava