Experiencing muscle and joint pain, fatigue, depression, headaches and neurological symptoms. Suggest?

My niece has been experiencing muscle and joint pain (sometimes debilitating), fatigue, depression, fuzzy thinking, headaches, some other seemingly neurological symptoms that I can't remember at the moment (she has talked about so many symptoms) and overall feels terrible. Both her parents have been heavy smokers her whole life (she's 23) and did not heed warnings about second-hand smoke. Could the chemicals in tobacco cause this set of symptoms? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 7 hours later

Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through history of your niece provided by you.

All her symptoms can be attributed to depression and stress. If she herself is taking nicotine, then yes, it can cause depression but second hand smoke is less likely to cause it.

She should consult psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management.

She should also rule out physical causes like diabetes, thyroid dysfunction or vitamin B 12 deficiencies. She can do it by means of blood investigations after taking consultation of her doctor.

Doctor may also rule neurological deficit if any by CAT scan.

She may get benefit by anti depressant drugs like desvenlafaxin or duloxetine etc. She may get prescription from her doctor.

She also should do yoga, meditation and relaxation therapy for better control over depression and stress.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have any query.