Experiencing movements in stomach. No missed period and negative pregnancy report. History of cancer. Worried

General Surgeon
Question
I AM 44 YEARS OLD AND AM EXPERIENCING MOVEMENTS IN THE STOMACHE LIKE PREGNANCY, IVE DONE 3 TESTS ALL NEGATIVE AND NO MISSED PERIODS. iT IS PRETTY MUCH CONSTANT AND KEEPING ME UP AT NIGHT AND WORRYING. iVE BEEN TO THE DOCTORS WHO RULLED OUT PREGNANCY AS I AM TOO THIN HE SAID. i DONT FEEL MYSLF AND I AM USUALY VERY FIT AND GO TO THE GYM MOST DAYS. dOCTOR IS TREATING MR FOR IBS BUT I DONT THINK SO. CAN YOU HEL ME? i HAVE HISTORY OF STOMACHE CANCER THAT WORRIES ME AS MY DAD DIED AT 32
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 38 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Movements in the stomach is not a pathologic symptom. As the membrane which covers XXXXXXX abdominal cavity (peritoneum) does not have receptors which would be able to sense the movements normally we do not feel intestines movements (which are moving all the time). But thin persons are able to feel intestines movements. It is because there is not fatty tissue isolating abdominal cavity and intestinal movements can be sensed with skin receptors.
That is why there is nothing to worry about if you find something moving inside your abdomen.
If you do not have any abdominal pains, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, constipations, diarrheas, blood in stool, you should not worry.
Stomach cancer in most cases is not a genetic disease and is caused by peptic ulcers and/or Helicobacter Pylori infection.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.