Experiencing mood swings, must take atleast 10 unisoms to sleep. Taking seroquel, cymbalta. Feeling stressed

i wish i had the courage to kill myselfi am a 32 yr old female. i am 5'8 and 232lbs. i take 200mg of seroquel and 60mg of cymbalta a day. i just wish i would die. i can sleep with 2 different men within a 24 hr period. when im happy im happy but only lasts a few hours. when im sad and hopeless i will feel that for weeks at a time. i have to take at least 10 or more unisoms to go to sleep. i hate my life
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Seroquel contain quetiapine and cymbalta contain duloxetine. Their combination is frequently used for depression, specially if it is associated with mood swings and sleep problem like in your case. Poor sleep may be because of depression or may be due to excessive use of unisons.

Some time depression did not improve with initial treatment, in that case one of the following steps are used:
-Keep patience: as drug take 4-8 weeks to show improvement
-Increase the dose of current medicine: Like seroquel
-Change of existing medicine
-Addition of other medicine
-Stop substance use if any: In your case you are using excessive unison for sleep. Disclose it to your physician
-Sleep difficulty: It can be treated with increase dose of seroquel, shifting dose to in night time, adding other psychotropic medicine for sleep difficulty
-Thyroid dysfunction: get thyroid profile done.
*All medicine related changes should be supervised by your physician.

Following measures will help you:
•     First remember your situation is transient and will solve in few weeks if you follow above advice
•     Ask help from friends and family members, do not shy for that.
•     Make structured daily routine so that you can spend time in some pleasurable activities
•     Eat adequate food, fruits and drink juice. Avoid alcohol use if any
•     Follow principles of sleep hygiene.
•     Talk frequently with friends and family members
•     Daily morning walk: must to follow
•     Now very good medicines available for depression. People life changes after adequate treatment. So do not loose hope.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health,