Experiencing mild pain around bottom of rib cage. What could be causing this?

Question
I'm experiencing mild pain around most of the bottom of my rib cage. Never gets worse but comes and goes throughout the day. Goes away sometimes but comes back the same after a bit. Feels like sore like muscles and first occurred after doing sit ups every night for about 2 weeks ( 50 total in three sets). I stopped the sit ups and push ups about a month ago. I recently ( since 12/2011) have been exercising and watching calorie intake for a loss of 60 pounds to date. (258# down to 197# - 5'8" 45 yom)
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
The pain at the bottom of your rib cage can be due to a muscle sprain or a muscle pull or costochondritis.
Usually such symptoms subside on taking a mild pain killer in combination with a potent muscle relaxant. Doing a hot fomentation and providing adequate rest helps in recovery in 4-6 weeks.
You can get the necessary drugs prescribed from your orthopedician after a detailed examination.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Experiencing mild pain around bottom of rib cage. What could be causing this? 51 minutes later
So I'd be okay just dealing with the pain without doing anything and it should go away? I generally don't take anything unless really needed. I was just concerned that it was taking awhile and I hadn't had this ever happen before.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The symptoms you have are mild and are likely to subside in few weeks. You can use a chest belt of appropriate size for an earlier relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.