Experiencing mild nausea and belching. Should I be concerned?

Jun 2015

Hi, I have been noticing lately that when I eat I am experiencing mild nausea and belching. This is all new for the past couple of months, should I be concerned? I'm 46 and a nurse but sometimes I get a little paranoid so I have been letting it go. Do you think I should get a scope?
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 35 minutes later

Belching is usually caused due to:
1. Release of the swallowed gas, which has entered the gastrointestinal tract while eating.
2. Consumption of carbonated drinks or gas producing food materials.

Though it is the body's normal phenomena to expel out the gases, it becomes a reason of concern if it is associated with:
1. Nausea
2. Heart burn
3. Sensation of abdominal bloating
4. Acid reflux in the throat

In your post, you have mentioned about the presence of nausea.
Kindly let me know if you have any other symptoms as well.

Symptomatic relief can be achieved by:
1. Lifestyle modification- like avoidance of stress, weight reduction, sleeping on the left side, or with upper body raised.
2. Dietary modification- avoid consuming gas producing foods like cabbage, etc. and irritating substances such as acidic & XXXXXXX foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.
3. Medical management- Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole, Pantoprazole,etc. (which prevent acid formation in stomach) and anti emetics like Domperidone.

If symptoms persist, it will be better to consult a Gastroenterologist.
An endoscopy will be helpful to rule out any abnormality in the gastrointestinal tract.
Based upon that, appropriate management steps could be taken.

There is no need to will be fine.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.
Follow-up: Experiencing mild nausea and belching. Should I be concerned? 21 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I am following a lean protein and mostly leafy vegetable diet and have been losing weight about 15 lbs so far. Of course I have days that I deviate but for the most part I eat pretty healthy. I may include Prilosec but most likely will get a scope mainly because I want some questions ruled out. Again thank you for your response.
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 17 minutes later

Thanks for the review.

I am happy to know that you are following a healthy lifestyle & diet plan.
That is really appreciable.

Prilosec, being Omeprazole will provide you symptomatic relief.
And if you want to rule out the questions, you can get a scope.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Dr. Polash Sannigrahi