Experiencing mild chest pain. Should I visit ER?

Feb 2013

Hi. I am a 45 year old female and have been experiencing mild chest pain in the center of my chest for the past few days. It only lasts about 10 or 20 seconds and then goes away. At this point I have created so much anxiety over it that I can't even say for sure whether the pain is real or in my head. It hurts when I apply pressure on the bone in the middle of my chest. Otherwise I feel fine physically. I am home with 3 small kids so panicking and going to the ER is a difficult option for me. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 23 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

With your description of the symptoms of mild chest pain in the center of your chest and pain on pressing the bone in the middle of chest, the pain is looking like some local cause origination from the muscle and the bone pain.

The possibilities are the muscle spasm and chostochondritis, which is the inflammation of the cartilage connecting the ribs to sternum.

The other possibilities are 1. reflux esophagitis with acidity, 2. chest pain due to anxiety, and 3. cardiac pain.

Local pain due to muscle and bone, requires analgesic medication and rest.

Pain due to acidity requires antacids like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole.

Chest pain due to anxiety is relieved by the anxiolytic medications like alprazolam or diazepam in prescribed dosages.

Cardiac origin of pain has to be ruled out by doing appropriate examination, blood pressure monitoring, and investigations with EKG and 2D Echo after the advise of your Physician.

So I advise you to consult a Physician for the examination and to evaluate the causes of your chest pain and its appropriate management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Experiencing mild chest pain. Should I visit ER? 10 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response. Based on the information you have provided, it does not sound as though I need to consider going to the emergency room right now and that the best course of action is to contact my doctor for an appointment to discuss my symptoms.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 10 minutes later

You are welcome,

And thank you for getting back.

Yes, I advise you to consult your doctor as early as possible to get examined and investigated for your symptoms.

Hope my suggestion answeres your concerns.

If you have any clarification, please feel free to get back.

If you don't have any doubts, you can close the session and I request you to rate my answer in order to improve myself to advise on this portal in a better way.

Wish you get relief from the symptoms soon.