Experiencing mild burning with pins and needle sensations on bottom of feet. Cause and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I am expierencing mild burning and pins and needle sensations on the bottoms of both of my feet.

There is no pain and no numbness. If I walk on my feet it goes away?
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
I can understand your concern for these symptoms. From your symptoms it looks like parasthesia of the lower limbs causing pins and needle sensations.

Pins and needles are abnormal sensations that can occur anywhere in your body, but are often felt in your hands, feet, arms, or legs.

Many causes of such sensations in the feet are there. These include injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply to the legs as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause tingling and pins and needle sensations.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.