Experiencing lower back pain, numbness in hip, tingling in spine. Difficult to sit. MRI done. Any thoughts?

Spine Surgeon
I have been experiencing lower back pain, numbness in my left hip and tingling up and down my spine. My doctor originally sent me to a chiropractor. After the second visit to the chiropractor my symptoms became worse. Now it is almost impossible for me to sit without pain. On Monday I had an MRI and it states the following:

Degenerative change in the L5-S1 disc and endplates with small left posterolateral protrusion and overlying osteophyte formation causing mild indentation of the left anterior surface of the thecal sac at this level. No appreciable compression of the nerve roots at this or other levels is seen.

I have been referred to a spinal surgeon but that is not for another month. Any recommendations for pain management until then?

Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 11 hours later

I appreciate the details given.

Two to three weeks of absolute bed rest may be helpful. That means lying supine on a flat bed for most of times and getting up and walking only for essential daily routine activities like going to toilet/bathroom. This is the best position with no additional stress on the spine. All other positions can put various amount of additional strain on the spine and neighboring muscles.

Along with it occasional use of pain killers. Simple ADVIL, MOTRIN can be taken during intolerable pain. Hot showers may help. If you prefer cold then ice cubes can be put on the area of maximum pain and numb the region.

Get well soon.