Experiencing lower back pain and diarrhoea. Drinking H20. What could it be?

I may have IBS, am a 60 yo female. However, increasing over the paste several weeks i am experiencing left lower back pain which radiates to the left lower abd. even when I have bouts of large uncontrollable diarhhea, the pain does not lessen. I am only drinking H20, and haven't eaten anything all day, but some mints to get a little sugar intake, and I havent't had more diarrhea yet, but the pain is intensifying...I'm not sure what I should do...
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kidney infections, stones, echography, urine tests Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I suggest a keen evaluation of this abdominal pain be made. Abdominal pain originating from the back and radiating to the left lower abdomen could have many sources. The commonest being a kidney disease (kidney stone, infection), sigmoid colon diverticulitis or inflammation. A kidney problem must be excluded from the way the pain is described. In some very rare cases, even appendicitis could have such an atypical presentation. I suggest that a complete blood count be done to check for raised white blood cells. This could support acute diverticultis or appendicitis. An abdominal ultrasound would precise the kidney size, identify the stones and sizes of the stones. Examination of urine for blood, white cells and nitrites would orient towards an infection or a stone. A past medical history and a complete clinical review are fundamental in interpreting results of these respective tests and further management. I strongly suggest you seek the opinion of your doctor, rather than sit and consider this to be bouts of IBS. In case you have not followed the normal IBS recommended therapy or you have changed diet or environment lately, these symptoms could be explained. If not, I suggest you see a doctor for a complete review. Please feel free asking any follow up questions in case you have specific concerns. I would be glad providing my humble help. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain