Ask a Urologist   »  

Experiencing low grade bilateral flank pain. Urine test showed presence of wbc. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi there,
i am a 30 y/o female 5'5" 125 lbs in otherwise good health but have been experienceing low grade bilateral flank pain for about a year and a 1/2, ever since i believe i passed a kidney stone. the pain also intermittently becomes very intense on one side or the other, then after about 30 minutes or so slowly begins to disapate as i feel the pain moving from my flank, around my side, into my abdomen where it stops. also, my urine is consistantly cloudy and/or has a bunch of white sediment in it. about a month ago i was in the doctors office for tx for an allergic reaction and i gave a urine sample. the doctor came back and told me that i had wbc in my urine and asked if i had any uti sx. i have had no uti sx but i did tell her about my flank pain. she prescribed a course of bactrim (which i finished) and that was it. i still have the flank pain and sedimentous urine with no improvement. what do you think? i was on celebrex daily for about 3 years for an injury r/t an mva and stopped taking it earlier this yearb/c i stopped having pain, i am wondering if that could be related at all. i am currently on spironolactone 100 mg daily for acne. thank you!!!
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The presence of WBCs in the urine is suggestive of infection. Since the flank pain is persistent, you need to get a culture sensitivity test of your urine done to detect any persistent infection.
An ultrasound of the abdomen s also recommended to find out any persistent renal calculi. You also need to stop taking spironolactone and see if the cloudiness and the pain disappear.
Taking celebrex for 3 years is not likely to cause the symptoms you are having.
Consulting a urologist is recommended for proper diagnosis and specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.