Experiencing loss of breath while sitting and laying down. What could be the reason?

Dec 2012

What would cause me to loss my breath for a split second, it happens if I'm just sitting down, working laying down. Again it comes for no apparent reason.
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are experiencing apnea

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

You are experiencing probably a physiologic apnea which is most likely normal given the duration of time it occurs since you mentioned that it occurs for a split of a second. What needs to be ruled out is sleep apnea which might be a more serious condition and you might be unaware of it since it occurs during sleeping hours.
You loosing breath while awake for a very short while probably means nothing you need to worry about.
But due to the fact that you are diabetic and suffer from anxiety disorder, it will be wise to rule out cardiovascular diseases that maybe triggering shortness of breath. This can be done by visiting a cardiologist who can run some tests such as stress test, serum lipids, serum electrolytes etc.
In my opinion, it is probably nothing you should worry about and I will only be doing tests just to make sure that no diseases condition is actually responsible and if that be the case, provide treatment before it gets worst.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah