Experiencing loose motion and vomiting. Am I having food poisoning?

Hi doctor,

I woke up early morning 3 am today and vomited, whatever I had eaten in yesterday's dinner just came out. I have been experiencing lose motions since. I could not have proper food during the day. I'm burpingall the time and my stomach is making strange sounds. It sounds similar to water flowing inside my body. I guess its food poisoning since I wasn't comfortable with yesterday's dinner.

Please advice

Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It sounds as though you have gastroenteritis which can have viral or bacterial origin. It can be related to food contaminated by an infected person or food that was otherwise unhealthy (related to preparation or the cooking process).

In most cases the illness is limited to a few days. In gastroenteritis the lining of the stomach and intestine is unable to absorb food or drink in large quantities.
During this time it would be best to use small amount of liquid at a time (preferrably oral rehydration fluids to replace the electrolytes that you are losing), when you use this small amount (about 1 oz or less) then wait at least 5 minutes and take another small amount. If you vomit using the 1 oz then reduce it further.

At this time fluid management is more important the using solid food, if you use solid food you may find that you may have the urge to vomit or have a diarrhoeal stool.
For today it would be best to concentrate on the fluids and introduce dry foods in small quantities tomorrow.
You can also try using yogurts with probiotics because these would assist in the repair of the stomach and intestinal lining.
If you do not like yogurt then you can purchase probiotics from your local pharmacy.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any additional questions