Experiencing long term erectile dysfunction. Tried Zoloft for depression. Cure?

Jul 2016

My 24 year old son is experiencing long term erectile dysfunction. He exercises and is in excellent shape health wise. He eats healthy and drinks water. He does not do drugs or drink alcohol. He was depressed at first, but now he has resigned himself to having this medical issue for the rest of his life. He tried seeing a therapist, but it did not work. He tried Zoloft for the depression, but he did not take it long enough to make a difference. I am very worried about him. Should I have him be seen for cardio vascular flow at kaiser? Is there something else you can suggest to cure him?

Thank you,
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 37 minutes later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your son has problem of erectile dysfunction since a long time.

He was diagnosed to have psychological depression and was advised to tale anti depressant drugs but he discontinued taking drugs.

His problem of erectile dysfunction could be due to depression it self.

However it will be better to consult a qualified XXXXXXX for detail clinical evaluation.He may need to undergo following basic tests to find out the cause of his erectile dysfunction
1) Serum Testosterone and serum Prolactin
2) Thyroid Hormone study.
3)Blood sugar estimation to rule out diabetes.
4) Penile Doppler Ultrasound scanning to rule out arterial insufficiency or venous occlusion of penile circulation.

Please consult psychiatrist and Urologist for further treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you