Experiencing leg cramp and numbness on feet after sleeping. Cause and cure?

HELLO. I am a 73 year old male. After I go to sleep, the tops of my feet go numb
and I will sometimes experience a leg cramp, usually below the left knee.
The physician I see examined my legs and feet eight months ago and said that
my circulation is normal and I have no indication of diabetes per a blood test.
I average two hours of sleep before being awakened by discomfort.
I have had this problem for about three years. Every morning I do non-aerobic
exercises for a half-hour to get my circulation up and running. I still work part-time
at a grocery store bagging and bringing carts in, which I am sure helps keep me
reasonably fit. I do not take prescription drugs, drink or smoke. But month ago, I decided to
try a homeopathic cream and pills which seem to help to a degree.
What do you think, Doc. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 37 minutes later
Hello sir,

Thank you very much for posting your query in HCM
Before I respond to the question proper, I would like to tell you that a given medical problem can be due to various causes and one has to establish the cause so that management of that condition becomes easy. Some people and more so in old age, a given medical problem can be due to various causes. I mean a single problem can be multifactorial.

I have noted your symptoms. The possibilities could be 1. Peripheral neuropathy 2. Restless leg syndrome or rare possibility of having both.

I will suggest you to get examined by a local neurologist who will interview and examine you. This will help us further to narrow down the possibility. Further, you need to check your Thyroid profile, Serum Vitamin B12 level. As problems in these may cause similar symptoms. The tests which will help further are nerve conduction tests and overnight polysomnography. This test will pin point the diagnosis.

Please visit a local neurologist who will guide you through the tests and he will help you in management as per the cause identified.

Hope this helps. I will be happy to help you further in this regard.

Dr Gopal Krishna Dash MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology), Post-doctoral fellowship (Epilepsy)
Consultant Neurologist and Epilepsy & Sleep medicine Specialist
Apollo Hospital, Hyderabad