Experiencing knee pain after running. What cure should be done?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am training for a marathon run and I experience a pain in my right knee after the run which subsides in a couple of days.

Over the past 10 years I am not having a desk job where I was sitting cross legged and now I think that is the reason for the additional pressure on knee which is facing a stress point.

I wanted to understand the prevention and cure for this problem.

Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and Thanks for the query.
I understand your concern and after going through your symptoms You might be having Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (runner's knee).

Patellofemoral pain may be the result of irritation of the soft tissues around the front of the knee. Strained tendons are fairly common in athletes. Other contributing factors to patellofemoral pain include overuse, muscle imbalance and inadequate stretching.

• Good general conditioning is important to controlling and preventing patellofemoral pain. If you're too heavy, you may need to lose weight to avoid overstressing your knees.
• Stretch. Before running or any other exercise, first do a 5-minute warm up, followed by stretching exercises. Stretching, particularly in the face down position (prone), will help keep the supporting structures around the front of the knee flexible and less likely to be irritated with exercise. Stretch before and after exercise.
• Increase training gradually. Avoid sudden changes in the intensity of exercise.
• Use running shoes with good shock absorption and quality construction. Be sure that shoes fit properly and are in good condition. If you have flat feet, you may need shoe inserts.
• Use proper running form. Lean forward and keep your knees bent. Also, try to run on a clear, smooth, resilient, even, and reasonably soft surface. Never run straight down a steep hill. Walk down it, or run in a zigzag pattern.

Use the RICE formula:
•Rest. Avoid putting weight on the painful knee.
•Ice. Apply cold packs or ice wrapped in a towel for short periods of time, several times a day.
Taping the kneecap or using a special brace for knee support during sports participation.
Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen if you need more pain relief.

Runner's knee usually gets better with early treatment and reconditioning.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.